It's a big big world...are you a big big girl?

Sunday lovely morning she wakes up as if this is going to be just another one of those days full of sun, fun, friends and fresh tomatoes from mum's garden. She has no clue that the adventure of the day will bring her a little bit of everything in just a heartbeat!
As any other summer day in the country side, each and everyone of the adults in the house are already gone by 11 a.m. when she decides to move her lazy and skinny bottom out of bed.
- Weah, no chores for today! Yes, you are one lucky girl, says to herself while having a glimpse in the small mirror by the window.
- Laura!!!!! Laura!!!
(a very familiar scream she hears comings from outside)
- Laura, don't make me jump over the fence once again. I am nicely dressed today, the voice continues as if in a theatrical monologue.
- I'm here! the lazy decided to move fast and be ready for the first and most important meeting of the morning. You, Mia! What got into you, screaming like a lunatic so early in the morning?! All this questioning happens while she strains her little 11-year-old body towards the green gate and opens it for the "stranger" to be able to come in and not ruin her pretty dress jumping over the fence.
- Early?! You call 11 a.m. early? Uofff, she sighs as if she has to repeat herself all over again for the one million and fifth time, you big-city girl! Always complaining. Are you ever happy with anything?
- Nope, Laura replies as in a rush to shut her older cousin's mouth. I am never happy because I know I can always do better or receive better treatment from people. She leans towards Mia's face and give her a nice and quick morning kiss she is so used to give. Now! What was the rush?
- We are going to the state fair or you've already forgotten about it?
- Oh, yes, that's true. I am going to be ready in a moment and then I can just call mum and tell her we are going.
- Sure, my folks will drive us there and back.
- Great!
Laura strikes a pose in one of the windows of the house. She thinks she is pretty enough for this event and phones her higher authority aka Mum. With the permission and instructions in mind, the fair it is!

Hours later, laughter could be heard from the top of the hilly tiny paved street.
- Who is having so much fun? Mia asks angrily.
No response. Laura is way too lost within her own thoughts to even bother to answer.
What I am going to do tomorrow? Oh, yes, I almost forget. Tomorrow is the day. I will see my niece for the first time. I actually think I won't be able to hold her. She has to be very small and I might drop her.
Suddenly she wakes up as the car pulls over to the side of the road and Mia grabs her hand.
- This is it. I have to go home now and you should do the same!
- Of course! She jumps out of the car in a hurry and whispers more into her head than out loud. Is not like you would ask me to come with you, like I always do. Mum is right. You are so strange sometimes.
- I will come by your place later, Mia shouts on her way inside the house.
- You mean over the fence and laughs a little.
There is no actual difference between the gardens of the two. The initial place was occupied by one single family and once the kids grew up and wanted their own space, great-grandmother and great-grandfather divided the house into two. Over the years, between them they built a wired fence and distanced the houses more and more but the idea is that they are still very close and if Mia shouts in her house, Laura can sometimes hear her.
- Laura, let's play!
- Yes. I was waiting for you to show up.
Like any girl their age, step by step they "were" singers, actresses, office-looking little ladies, athletes and climbers. All happening in less than two hours.
- I have to get up and look over the fence! Laura says dropping the so-called deodorant-microphone from her hand. Grandpa will arrive soon from work and if I see him on the street I get free ice cream!
She jumps over the flower pitch that mum prohibited her from playing into and onto the rock foundation of the fence.
- I cannot see!
Mia sits still, no words or movements come out from her place on the house's stairs.
- I have to get a little bit over it with my head; I cannot see like this! Laura argues with the fence and it's wooden construction.No! He is not here yee.....
She is not able to finish the word, when her left leg slips from the wooded bar and on to the rock foundation once again. Mia looks, analyzes the situation and starts singing once again. For anyone who grew up in the early 1990s, Mariah Carey was a role model. This is exactly the case for Mia. "I can't breath, 'cause living is without you..."
- Awwwwwww....... disturbs the song. Miaaaaaaa
Laura was in the middle of the flower pitch purple as a perfectly grown plum, looking lost and afraid.
- Help me! I have something in my right leg!
Mia rushes over; despite all their regular arguments, she is still a nice person and a lovely friend, at least when she wants to be one!
- Keep it still. I will look now, she said with a doctor-like voice.
Laura moves away her two hands hiding the wound. There is a rusty nail in her right tibia, hanging there with her white skin. In one heartbeat, Mia pulls it out and looks to Laura:
- Don't worry! It is not bad. We can clean it and fix it!
She rushes out of the garden and into her house as if she has to run away and get to the bathroom.
Crying out of her lungs, Laura looks abandoned and tries to move from the flowers, so that mum will not find her there in case she comes faster from work. All her tears are drifting away and leaving a lot of laughter behind them when Mia shows up with baby talcum powder in a big jar.
- Great idea! she says. This is what we used when you were hurt the last time
- Aha, and it will fix your wound in a second.
She starts a long lasting process of cleaning the spot, adding baby powder, rolling a bandage tape over it and lifting Laura up.
- You are good to go!

Comments

Popular Posts